Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Monday, May 30, 2011

Sad Endings and New Beginings

Last Sunday my mom and I went to see the Lion King. During intermission she decided to check her phone and had to listen to the most terrible words come out of her mothers mouth via answering machine. My Opa (grandfather) had a massive heart attack and was gone. We bolted out of the theater and automatically stated driving up to Northern Ontario where they live. I spent the past week at their place helping my Oma get through the hard decisions and just taking care of her. I have never seen anyone is this amount of pain, a pain that cant really be healed, 57 years together and now she is alone.

My Opa was one of the most interesting people you could ever meet. Born and raised in Germany. He came to Canada by boat in his twenties with only ten dollars in his pocket. Worked so hard sending money back to Germany for my oma and to eventually bring her here as well. He was such an animal lover having 50 acres of land in northern Ontario that is a hunting free zone. I can remember one time we were sitting outside and he had a mosquito biting his arm, he looked at it and then looked at me and said "well they need to eat too". He was a class "A" auto mechanic, and had a passion for every living thing.

All I can say is dear Opa I miss you! I hope that where ever you are, its amazing, and you can eat all the butter and cakes you want.

Ruhe in frieden Opa! Ich leibe dich!

( the picture above was taken by my sister in law http://greenandfurry.blogspot.com/ Easter 2010, Opa and my Nephew Nathan)

No comments:

Post a Comment