Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Taste of the Danforth






 A Taste of the Danforth


   Aw, that wonderful time of year, a time that we Torontonians look forward to all summer, and come ready to EAT! Taste of the Danforth. Classically a celebration of Greek food and Culture in our great city, has transformed over it last 19 years into a great multicultural event. Greek, Mexican, Indian, even Canadian food can be had.
   This year the festival ran from August 10-12th, , stretching from Broadview to Donlands. Unfortunately the weekend didn’t start off with a bang due to rain and over cast skies. But that won’t stop us will it Toronto?
   I headed down myself, on the Sunday, which was the best of the days that weekend, although the sky did become slightly menacing towards the end. I went around 4, and was STARVING, not having eaten all day to save room. I was waiting on friends to go, but decided I just couldn’t wait any longer.
  Now it’s not just about the food, although it is the only reason I go. There are several stages set up along the way, featuring many performances of all types. They have games, photo ops, a giant Foosball table, and so much more. Stores put out their merchandise just as readily as restaurants show off their food. There really is something for everyone.
   So I started with Calamari from Mambo, then a pork souvlaki, unfortunately I forget from where. At this point I was mesmerized by the man with the giant knife, cutting holes in people’s coconuts for them to drink from. I decided I would get one of these later, but later I was way too stuffed.
   I had gyros, scooped off of a giant flat top, Sliders from Burger Stomper, Quail from Louis Meat Market, Moroccan Olives from Healthy Planet. Oh boy, it’s about at this point I decide to slow down a bit. I’m starting to get full, and I’m not even to Pape yet! Ok but I HAVE to try the vegetable Pakora from Aravind, with coriander dipping sauce. Oh and some Poutine with real cheese curds, with an Orange Italian Soda, from Threes Company. Oh, ya and the Roasted Corn on the Cob. Well I must say it’s a good thing Kristen met me at this point. So many more things to try and I just couldn’t fit anymore in.

Finally I find Sarah at Taste of the danforth! I was so hungry, and to be honest I didnt really care how full Sarah already was...she was going to try everything I got if she wanted to or not!
We wandered around for a bit grabbing some fried calamari first from "Silk Road". I am not sure if it was the heat lamps it was stored under or just the plate we got but the larger peices were so over cooked, impossible to chew...however the smaller peices were wonderful with a spicy vinagrette to accompany them I was a happy camper!
Next stop was some seriously awesome bacon wrapped shrimp from "Mocha Mocha". It was shrimp....wrapped in bacon....nothing more needs to be said!
We sauntered around for about a half an hour munching on fish and chicken tacos, and some pork soulvaki, until we found it....the mother of all things wonderful!
SPIT ROASTED QUAIL (from Athens Restaurant)
Tiny, crispy and moist, perfectly seasoned little bundles of birdly goodness! A++ to Athens restaurant for their luscious quail!

Okay so we are done eating now...and what is the best idea that comes into our heads....riding the Farriswheel...I never said Sarah and I were the smartest people! So we go around this Farriswheel being jerked and prodded back and forth and laughing so hard every time we lean forward and scare ourselves to the point of pale faces! Just when we think its time to get off...we have to stay on for the loading of the entire thing again! The worst part...slowly going to the top...at least we were able to get some good shots from the top :)

If you are in Toronto next year you should definitely check out taste of the danforth. Its a lot of fun, with awesome people like you who just want to eat good food!

take care ladies and gents!

Love Kristen and Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment