Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Friday, August 31, 2012

GO GREEN- CULTIVATE TORONTO!

                                                        Cultivate Toronto

   On my commute to work today, I noticed a sign, CultivateTO. Naturally, as a gardener I was interested. On further investigation, I found out it’s a community food share program.
   To be more specific; Say I, as a gardener, volunteer my back yard (or front) to growing vegetables. Cultivate Toronto, comes and checks my soil and property to see if it fits the natural guidelines. Then plants what is needed, and helps keep up with the maintenance. Then harvests, and give the product to, let’s say you, the buyer.
   You, as the buyer, pay a certain charge, to have fresh local produce delivered to your door daily. Prices and specifics are yet to come, but I will do the dirty work, and find out more. I am thinking if I could volunteer my yard, in exchange for different vegetables and I would be all in.
   Now a quote from the website;
   “Studies have shown that vegetable gardens improve the natural environment we live in by lowering our carbon footprint, lessening the heat-island effect in cities, improving air quality and reducing rainwater runoff. When you invest in CultivateTO, you are investing in the community and strengthening the local economy. Rather than lining the pockets of supermarket shareholders, you are providing youth with an opportunity to put your land to good use and teach others how to grow food. You are inspiring your family and neighbors to start their own veggie gardens and to use the money they save on other local food sources such as farmers’ markets.”

   If you are that interested and can’t wait for me, please check out their website:
cultivatetoronto.com


No comments:

Post a Comment