Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lavender Experiment Number Uno!

                                                           Lavender Experiment #1

   I love lavender, so much in fact I planted a whole bunch in my garden a few years ago. It’s great for the garden because it spreads nicely, and attracts bees that help pollinate my vegetables. This year, I decided to harvest it, what to do with it is the issue.
   Lavender is traditionally used for teas, soaps, and its precious oil. It has many healing qualities, and is great for calming, and relaxing. Now how do I cook with it??? Lavender is becoming very popular in the culinary world, and has a vast variety of uses. So I have decided to give it a go, and share my findings with you.

   My first Experiment Lavender Jelly;
3 ½ Cups of water
½    Cup of dried Lavender
¼    Cup of lemon juice
4     Cups of sugar
1     Box of pectin

 First simmer the lavender in the water making a tea (at least 20 min.), strain the lavender. I actually added some sage to this process, but you can play with yours. Add the lemon juice, and sugar, and stir to dissolve the sugar, add the pectin and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 2-4 minutes.
  There you have it, easy as pie. I think I’ll try this on lamb with some mint. Keep coming back to see more of my lavender experiments, and please, share some ideas of your own. I’ve got lots of lavender.



No comments:

Post a Comment