Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pumpkin Soup

So I have had this pumpkin since Halloween...still in perfectly pumpkiny condition, we just never got around to carving it...so we decided to not let it go to waste! I roasted the whole thing and toasted the seeds. The seeds were a wonderful crunchy, salty little bites. The roasted flesh of the pumpkin turned out well also, but I couldn't believe how much of it there was! I made about 5 l of this awesome soup, and I still have 3L of roasted pumpkin in the freezer. Pie and cake soon to come I guess.


I didn't go with the traditional route with the soup using, clove and cinnamon and sweet onions. Instead I tried a more savory approach.





1 onion
3 stalks celery
3 carrots
3L roasted pumpkin
1L chicken stock
1L veggie stock or water
1 clove of garlic
salt/pepper
a few dashes each of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce
a handful of sage leafs
and I used bacon as a garnish

basically, sweat your miripoix and add the garlic,  and deglaze with your stock combination. add the rest of the ingredients and let the mix come to a boil. Once boiling, put in a 250 degree oven for about 2 hours and then puree and strain. Garnish with crispy bacon and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment