Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

LAVENDER CRAZY WEEK 7- Honey Lavender Gelato!

 Honey Lavender Gelato

  I love gelato, which is strange because I was never a huge fan of ice cream. I mean don’t get me wrong, there is a time and place for ice cream, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it. But gelato...that is a different story! Maybe it’s the creamy texture, or maybe it’s because I thought for years it had less fat. Either way, I decided to try out some Lavender Gelato.
  During my adventures in B.C., I tried some Lavender Lemon Gelato from Harland’s Chocolates, and it was good, but I wanted something sweeter. Since Lavender and honey is a proven match, this is the way I decided to go.
You will need;
2 Cups Cream
2 Cups Whole Milk
½ Cup Sugar
2/3 Cup Honey
2 Egg yolks
2 teaspoons Dried Lavender
  Heat the milk and cream in a sauce pan, add Lavender. Stir often while this heats, don’t bring it quite to a boil, but get it hot. Let stand for 30 minutes to infuse all that good Lavender flavor.
  Strain and clean the pot, then put the milk back in, add the sugar and honey, and stir over the heat until it dissolves.
 Wisk your egg yolks in a boil, now this is the tricky part. Add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks, a little at a time while whisking. You want to temper the eggs, but not cook them.
  Next add the tempered eggs to the rest of the mixture, and heat for a little longer. Now chill the mixture, if you’re in a hurry you can use a bowl of ice, place your mixture in a smaller bowl, in the bowl of ice. I had a lot on the go that day, so I simply put it back in the fridge until the next day.
  So once cooled it’s time to make it FROZEN! You can’t just freeze it, or it would be a solid mass. So those of you without a handy Kitchen Aid attachment, you have to do the bowl of ice thing again, and slowly run a spatula around the bowl. A painstaking process to be sure, but if it makes you feel any better, I feel your pain, having lost the piece to my ice cream maker that attaches it to the actual Kitchen Aid. So after 45 minutes of alternating between turning the churn, and turning the bowl to save my poor elbow, my Gelato was slightly frozen, but still pourable. Having learned my lesson the last time I made a frozen dessert (it gets harder as it freezes) I knew that this was where I should stop.
  In the freezer over night, then you are ready for your delicious dessert. Mine turned out smooth and creamy, and very scoop able. Oh and Delicious, did I mention Delicious? Even my cat Lucy enjoyed it. I will defiantly be making this one again!
Xoxo Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment