Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

why do queer people have to flaunt it?

Sometimes when I am out with my friends they ask me why LGBTQ people flaunt their sexuality, why does everyone need to know that they are gay, why cant they just act normal?? I guess trying to see it from both sides is kind of difficult for me because I am part of the LGBTQ community, but I also in some small way understand where they are comming from.

Gay people don't really flaunt it...seeing two men/women holding hands is not flaunting it...straight couples hold hands, kiss goodbye, cuddle in theaters and show affection in public all the time, why is it so wrong for queer people to do the same?

I think because being queer has been so hush hush in the past years makes it an odd sight, or at least this is the point of view the questioners are comming from. I feel like this shouldnt be a question at all, considering I live in the most multicultural, "queer friendly" city in the world, gay marriage is legal, full benefits for your queer partner or spouse is not only common but expected.

I guess no matter where you go you will find people who dont agree with who you are, it just goes to show that the LGBTQ community has come so far in the equal rights movement, but we still have so far to go.

Keep pushing on!!

Equal rights is a slow movement but we will get there, and I cant wait to see the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment