Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Spain- Day 1

Spain, Murcia- San Javier

Day 1

   I woke up at noon (6am) and it was so cold. Turned up the heat, and wrapped myself in the plush bed covers. I didn’t get up again until almost 5pm. Being awake for 30 hours takes its toll.
  When I did get up, it took me 5 minutes to be ready. I wanted to go out and have an adventure. I got my wish.

  We followed Brenda’s directions, and found the beach, no problem. It was only 13 degrees, so we didn’t stay long. We follow the beach looking for a supermarket, all we see is restaurants and bars. Trust me this will seem funny later.


   We stop at a wine bodega, he does not speak English, but holy shit he has a cute dog! So while shopping, I just carry this little....nothing of a dog (really my cats would eat him) around with me. We get wine, coffee, and what Kristen calls milk.
Still on a mission to find a super market; we have been walking for 45 minutes; we have seen...bars, clubs, pizza, gas, cloths, and a pet store, everything, except a grocery store. So we suck it up and ask. It is just up the street 5 minutes.
  I won’t bore you with our shopping, or the painful walk home. I will say, we were so happy to get there.
  So after a glass of wine and a smoke, we set out again for dinner. We walked the other way into a different town, and got lost. Not only were we lost, but street after street we cannot find a place to eat, hours earlier we could have had our pick, but now they are either closed, or don’t serve food. We were hungry, and lost, and unfortunately came across “Ron”.
  We walked down a random street, there were guys sitting in a van, and from behind them, this dog runs out, and then follows us.  We get close to the major road, and I can’t take it anymore. I pick up the dog, tell Kristen to stay put, and march back to the “owner”, the guy in the van, and give him the dog. Well it is not his dog, but he helped in asking the neighbours, it was not their dog either. Now Kristen, who was told to stay put, freaks out because the men have gotten out of the car, and she can no longer see me. She comes stalking in, to see me talking to 2 little children. We say goodbye, and the dog still follows us. We had to wait until he got a little ways ahead of us, and then we RAN. No offence to poor Ron, but we were hungry, and doubted he would be accepted at the dinner table.
  We finally find dinner at a very nice place on the water called; Miramar. It was a beautiful place, and the food was delicious, so we were a bit confused as to why we were the only people there on a Thursday night.





  We had Sardines in oil, Octopus that melted in your mouth, an assortment of meat; olives stuffed with what we think were anchovies, and fries, yes fries. To finish it off we had cheese cake and bread pudding, and very strong Irish coffee. When we are all finished, we push our plates to the side to indicate we are done. Now there are 4 servers at the bar, looking at us, and we in turn are looking at them. We could not figure out why they haven’t brought us the bill. So we spend a very awkward 10 minutes or so, looking at them, looking at us. Finally I do the universal hand gesture for bill, and they bring the already printed bill, that has been sitting in front of them, the whole time. Very awkward! So giggling like school girls, we head home to drink some wine on our roof top terrace. Not a bad first day in Spain.
Many more Adventures to come!
Xoxo Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment