Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Apple Picking




A Little Trip to the Country

   Sometime life can be so busy, it becomes hard to meet up with friends, and family, and almost impossible to fit in a little fun time. Toronto I find does have quite a few little fun spots, that are close buy if you look into it.
  This adventure was entirely inspired by a misread google search. I punched in apples, and a suggested search said apple picking. Yes please! So as most people that know me, and hopefully you that read this blog, know, I am always up for something new, and will drag anyone down with me.
  So on this past beautiful Sunday, 2 friends, Hester and Zina, and I made the trek to north Markham, to Applewood Farm and Winery. Boy we in for a surprise!
  So about a 45 minutes drive north of the city, even with traffic, we find our farm. First we hit the winery, and I found myself pleasantly surprised by their variety, and delicious wines.
  Next we head out apple picking. Being a bit discouraged by the giant sign on the road that said picking closed, and the girl at the counter that said we were welcome to try; I was perfectly happy just to take a walk through the orchard. It was in fact Hester who insisted on getting bags, and was delightfully looking among the apples on the ground to find some good ones. So 30 minutes later, Hester’s bag is almost full, and Zina has her bag half full it’s time to get down to business!
  We all ended up with almost full bags, and then went to catch the wagon ride, which unfortunately we didn’t get on because it was too late in the day. It was sad, but our day became even more successful when Zina found a cute little tree frog, hidden among the trees.  Later dubbed Stuart, this small, fat little guy was probably the highlight of my day.
  So a wagon full of apples, pumpkins, and of course WINE, plus a plan for turkey day, we were on our way home. What a great experience, Thanks again Hester and Zina, for letting me drag you on my weird ideas of fun. A day none of us will forget I’m sure.
www.applewoodfarmwinery.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment