Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Go Green Thursdays




 A Green Thumb???? I think not!!

We have all heard the term ‘Green Thumb’, which refers to, a natural skill for
gardening- this, friends, I do not have. I imagine there are very few out there that have
the gift of simply planting something, and getting to sit back and enjoy the beauty of
watching it grow. For the rest of us it is WORK, enjoyable for some, not so much for
others, but WORK, none the less.

So let me tell you my gardening tale; 7 years ago, in September, I got the house,
I live in currently, which came with 5 beautiful gardens. Now spring approaches, I
was eager, and ready to attack my gardening duties. I planted tomatoes, pumpkins,
asparagus, strawberries, if you named something, I probably tried to plant it. Well, the
squirrels dug up my asparagus, my down stairs neighbours planted peas where my
pumpkins were, raccoons ate my tomatoes, and for the life of me I can’t remember what
happened to the strawberries. I do remember I didn’t get any. Not a great first year, but
my one saving grace was the rock garden in front of the garage; whatever it was that
was growing there was doing awesome!! So I must have some of this ‘Green Thumb’
they speak of. NOPE, it turned out to be Golden Rod, and had to be all torn out, sigh.

OK!!! Regroup! I ripped out the rock garden, shortened the vegetable and front
garden for the second year- it was great! I only planted herbs, which I use a lot of in my
cooking, and some cherry tomatoes. I figured, and I was right, the raccoons couldn’t
possibly eat all of them.

The next few years fell to the wayside. I went back to school full-time, and work at
least 2 part-time jobs during school. I adopted a new and trendy gardening attitude,
Free Range Gardening, which simple meant, if it wanted to grow, it could, I wasn’t going
to do anything about it.

During the 5th year, last year, I decided enough was enough; I again dawned my pink
Mickey Mouse Crocs, and floral gloves, and got out there and dug, and pulled, and...
well whatever else it is you do out there. Before I left to go on my B.C. adventure, I had
my gardens looking tip top; I planted only herbs, so the occupants of my house would
only have the bare minimum to do. Which is what they did, and I returned to an overrun
mess.

So year 6, I did it all over again. I was so excited this year I couldn’t even decide what
to plant. I made the back garden bigger, just so I could fit more in, and still have pots all
over my yard. Every time I go to the garden center I find more and more. I’m starting to
think my Aunt Debbie is right; (but I should never have doubted her) It’s Addicting!

So I have all my herbs; Basil, Purple Basil, Oregano, Golden Oregano, Thyme, Sage,
and Rosemary. I have 2 different color cherry tomatoes, snap peas, zucchini, pickling
cucumber, and radishes, a plum tree, carrots, winter squash, raspberries, concord
grapes, and a generous harvest of Lavender to boot. I lost my sunflowers, and parsnip,
but hey, 18 out of 20 aren’t bad. Me, ‘Green Thumb’!?! No. Green Gardener? Yes sir!

I love going out there, even for a few minutes a day. There is always something
popping up, and it fascinates me to see a baby cucumber one day, and a full grown one
the next. Not to mention all the wonderful smells, the bees, butterflies, and dragonflies it
attracts (although I don’t think Kristen will agree with me there). And of course I love the
spoils of the garden. Picking, eating and using the things you grow, give a new sense of
pride. I often just pick things and give it away, or make jellies or sauces, always with a
big smile on my face saying, “It came from my garden.”

As a cook as well I’m getting to try and come up with new recipes just to use all the
things I grown. I’ve come up with quite the collection of recipes calling for Lavender, but
that will be another blog altogether. So if you ever had the inclination to garden, just do
it. There is a very good chance you won’t be any good at it. I wasn’t any good at it for
years, but look at me now!








So in deciding to post every day I decided it might be a good idea to have one day with a set topic. So Thursdays it is and Eco-friendly is the topic! Well what better way to start off this weekly eco post then with an awesome blog about a garden. Sarahs wonderful little piece of heaven to be exact! so without further blabbing from me...here it is :) Injoy

No comments:

Post a Comment