Where are we?: Germany
countries Visited: 9
Days on the Road: 111

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Welcome to the BIG TOP


 Under the Big Top
    Have you ever been to the Circus? Until last week Kristen and I hadn’t either. Something I’ve always wanted to do, but these days most claimed circuses are all acrobatics. Not animals and clowns like the old style Circus that I dream of seeing. Well luck would have it, as Kristen and I were driving back from St. Jacobs, there was a giant billboard, advertising just that.
    Now excuse me for being a bit sceptical, but we Googled it when we got in, and it was exactly what we were thinking. The 2012 Shrine Circus, animals and all. For 20 dollars a ticket, 30 for ringside. Um yes please, ringside!
   So off we drive to First Markham Place, driving around a very packed street and then plaza, until we see it, The Big Top. We walk up to see the elephants, and then that glorious smell of cotton candy, peanuts, and other carnival food hits us. I know you all know that smell.
   We got our fancy V.I.P. ringside tickets, and we’re ushered in along with our fellow circus goers, with all the excitement that you would expect for you first time. So we settle into our seats, and wait patiently, while watching children getting elephant rides around the ring. I desperately wanted one, but I felt a little silly, being, you know, 30 something. As promised, at 7:30 sharp, the Ring Master enters, and the show begins!
   First the Freestyle Motor Show; 3 wonderfully decorated Daredevils, showing off their skills on motorcycles, and 3 wheelers
  Next Guillermina; an expert Hula Hoop artist, accompanies by several miniature clowns, throwing hoops at her from all sides. Beautiful, and graceful, and holy cow she can handle a lot of hoops!
  After that, Equestrianism; A stunning display, six beautiful white horses, dancing together around the ring. It was almost caught my breath in my throat, watching them gallop by, so close, we could almost touch them.
   Then, my favorite, Neecha Braun; an elegant display of strength, she twists and turn, and flips on “The Lyra” or Arial hoop.
   On to Piolita; a little clown style comedy relief.
   The Nexus Troupe; Bright colors, a giant bicycle with balloon wheels, and of course, a dog. All I can say about this really, is I want one, the bike not the dog, honest.
   Back on stage Neecha, this time with her Amazing Dobermans; a tri color of Dobermans, performing such amazing tricks. Jumping through hoops, rings, and even fire, these 3 even drove in on their own sinister looking side car.
   Veronica and Natalia; much like Neecha, their act is Arial Artistry, but now there are 2 of them. At one point, one of them, I have no idea which, spun round and round on a strap attaching her neck, and the others foot. This had the entire crowd in awe.
   It was around this time that the intermission happened, so I ran off to get very stale nachos, and slushies, which were cleverly held in elephant cups, or so I thought. When I returned to my seat, Kristen laughed, and turned the cup so I could see the face, of my alien slushy cup. I’m only mentioning this because I still find it strange that there was an alien cup even at the circus.
   Now before we get back to the show, I must mention the most exciting part. There we are under The Big Top, when “BANG”, thunder and lightning erupt, the sky opens up, and pours down on us. It was an awesome sight, and an eerie feeling, to be sitting there. Not to worry, we were all safe and dry, and only minor leaks broke through, not managing to get anyone but the poor people on the back of the elephant in the ring. Good thing I didn’t opt for that ride eh? But back to the show!
   The second act starts with Titto Rock; highly entertaining, hilarious even. The silent clown has been told not to touch the bells, so he gets members of the audience to do it for him. Such good sports they were too, Titto teased them the whole way through.
  The Nexus Troupe; they grace us again, but this time with less make up. We can now see that all those people we thought were stage hands, were actually performers, helping move and set up the stage.
   Finally, the Elephants,   “The All New Tarzan Zerbini Performing Elephants”; giant beasts being lead around the ring, by their trainer, Erika Zerbini
                                                    How could you not enjoy the show?













No comments:

Post a Comment